I made up a stack of zip purses and pencil cases the other day, so thought I might as well document my movements and make a little tutorial as I went - so here we go:
Find my Zip Purse Tutorial after the jump.
Zip Purse Tutorial
Finished size approx. 8" x 4" (20cm x 10cm)
2x 9x5" piece of outer fabric
2x 9x5" piece of lining fabric
Thread in matching colour
1/4" seam allowance (unless otherwise stated)
1. Cut your outer, and lining fabrics (2x each measuring 9" x 5"). You should have 4 pieces of fabric.
2. Place one piece of your outer fabric right side UP, then place your zip, teeth side DOWN, with the zip pull to your LEFT. Now place one of your lining pieces on top, right side DOWN. I am not a great pinner, but pin if you like! Using your zip foot, stitch straight along the top edge. Flip wrong sides together.
3. Next place your remaining piece of outer fabric right side UP, place zip teeth side DOWN with the zip pull to the RIGHT, then place the remaining piece of lining fabric on top, right side DOWN. Sew as before.
4. Flip wrong sides together, press flat, then top stitch about 1/8" from the edge, where the fabric and zip meet. Be sure to sew through all three layers (outer fabric, zip and lining). Repeat so both sides are stitched.
5. Next, flip fabric so you have RIGHT sides together (both outer and lining fabric facing each other). Push the zip towards the outer fabric on both sides and pin. Starting from the bottom edge of the lining, sew around the entire perimeter leaving about 2-3" opening in the lining for turning. NB. Open your zip about halfway now!
5. Trim corners and excess zipper. Turn inside out through opening. Using a chop stick, or something long and blunt, push out the corners. Press lining flat, then stitch closed. Tuck your lining into the pouch, press and you are done!
Well done! Admire your lovely handiwork.